One of the early "trophy homes" in Eastham, the Penniman House was built in 1867 by Captain Edward Penniman, Eastham’s deepwater whaling captain. Born in Eastham in 1831, he went to sea at the age of 11 and had an adventure-filled and profitable career in the whaling trade. A pair of whale jawbones frame the rear gateway to the house. An example of the French Second Empire style of architecture, the house is located on Fort Hill Road and is owned and maintained by the Cape Cod National Seashore. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places; the interior is open for guided tours.